Saturday, April 30, 2011
Ever the artist, our friend Josh made a gorgeous red, white, and green-topped pizza using pita bread. Just as that melted cheese oozes among the spinach and tomatoes, the Italian flavor oozes from this dish.
Josh's Italian Pita Pizza
1 piece of pita bread
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Arrange spinach, mushrooms, cheese, and tomatoes on pita bread. Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts. Slice it up and enjoy!
Sunday, April 24, 2011
A fresh fruity salad hits the spot for brunch on a sunny Easter Sunday.
Fruity Easter Salad
green beans with sesame
cantaloupe, pineapple, honey dew melon chunks
balsamic vinegar and olive oil
Toss everything together and enjoy!
Friday, April 22, 2011
Friday, April 15, 2011
The Ratty's squash bisque is delicious on its own - a delicious balance of sweet and savory blended into a velvety smooth creamy soup. You can customize it by adding a personal spin, such as what we did here with bacon collard greens, cheese, scallions, and a slice of whole grain Seven Stars Bread.
Squash Bisque with Cheesy Bacon Collard Greens
1 bowl of squash bisque
bacon collard greens
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1 slice of Seven Stars Whole Grain Bread
1. Put cheese and half of collard greens on top and microwave until cheese melts - about 20 seconds.
2. Top with the rest of the collard greens and scallions.
3. Enjoy with the bread!
What is the difference between a golden raisin and a purple raisin? Maybe the golden ones have a little more tang, or have a brighter, crisper flavor. Whatever the difference, these little jewels of sunshine are just bursting with spring!
Golden Raisin Spring Salad
1 plate of mixed greens
balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil
1. Top the greens with the tomatoes, raisins, and white beans.
2. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil on top.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
When you are in a rush and want to eat something nutritious yet simple, go for an assortment of beans, peas, veggies, and tuna. This combination almost has all the colors of the rainbow! Now if only there were some purple eggplant and blue...uh blue...raspberries?
Easy Peasy Beans
sauteed green beans
steamed green peas
halved cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup serving of tuna
1 tsp ranch dressing (or your favorite dressing)
1 tsp sour cream
1 tsp mayonnaise
1. Arrange zucchini, beans, peas, tomatoes, and tuna on a plate.
2. Drizzle tomato with dressing.
3. Top the tuna with sour cream and mayo.
Sunday, April 10, 2011
As I was savoring a particularly juicy, cheese-smothered mushroom in my Greek veggie sandwich the other day at Andreas, it suddenly occurred to me: I had, at the Ratty, pretty much all the ingredients conveniently at my disposal to recreate that very same sandwich.
Mushrooms, spinach, tomato, onion, swiss and American cheese are ordinary on their own but absolutely wonderful in a warm pita nuked in the microwave for a minute or so. Served with a romaine lettuce salad, you could seriously imagine that you are dining at a particular Greek restaurant on Thayer street.
"Andreas-style" Spinach Mushroom Pita Sandwich
plateful of spinach
1 slice of American cheese
2 slices of swiss cheese
2-3 slices of tomato
2-3 onion rings
golden raisins (optional but very yummy)
1 large piece of wax paper
1. Microwave spinach and mushrooms on a plate for 2 minutes, or until spinach is cooked.
2. Place tomatoes and onions in a pita. Layer spinach-mushroom mixture on top and sprinkle with golden raisins, if using.
3. Place cheese on top and roll the pita up on both sides. Wrap a wax paper "diaper" on one end.
4. Nuke in the microwave for about 1 minute to melt the cheese.
5. Serve warm with a salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumbers (olives and feta too if available).
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Our friend, Maggie, came up with this delightful dessert which combines crumbled up s'mores bars with swirled soft serve and chocolate sauce from the V-dub. It is a sweet treat that is made with love.
Maggie's S'mores Dessert Made with Love
1 s'mores bar
1.5-second serving of swirled soft serve
1 spoonful of chocolate sauce
1. Break the s'mores bar into chunks and place it in a bowl.
2. Dispense soft serve on top in a pretty swirl.
3. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Taste the love!
You can take Rhode Island Chicken Salad, mix it with with steamed broccoli and mushrooms, and serve it open faced or in a traditional sandwich.
Rhode Island Chicken Salad with Broccoli
a small handful of raw broccoli and mushrooms
1 serving of Rhode Island Chicken Salad
1 leaf of fresh lettuce
2 slices tomato
1. Place broccoli and mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with a plate, and steam on high power in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until veggies are just cooked.
2. Carefully remove the plate and add the steamed veggies to the chicken salad, mixing to distribute evenly.
3. Serve with lettuce and tomato in an open-faced or regular sandwich.
Post: 11:14 PM