Sunday, April 10, 2011
As I was savoring a particularly juicy, cheese-smothered mushroom in my Greek veggie sandwich the other day at Andreas, it suddenly occurred to me: I had, at the Ratty, pretty much all the ingredients conveniently at my disposal to recreate that very same sandwich.
Mushrooms, spinach, tomato, onion, swiss and American cheese are ordinary on their own but absolutely wonderful in a warm pita nuked in the microwave for a minute or so. Served with a romaine lettuce salad, you could seriously imagine that you are dining at a particular Greek restaurant on Thayer street.
"Andreas-style" Spinach Mushroom Pita Sandwich
plateful of spinach
1 slice of American cheese
2 slices of swiss cheese
2-3 slices of tomato
2-3 onion rings
golden raisins (optional but very yummy)
1 large piece of wax paper
1. Microwave spinach and mushrooms on a plate for 2 minutes, or until spinach is cooked.
2. Place tomatoes and onions in a pita. Layer spinach-mushroom mixture on top and sprinkle with golden raisins, if using.
3. Place cheese on top and roll the pita up on both sides. Wrap a wax paper "diaper" on one end.
4. Nuke in the microwave for about 1 minute to melt the cheese.
5. Serve warm with a salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumbers (olives and feta too if available).