Friday, November 20, 2009
A few key ingredients may be absent from the Ratty, but can be found at Sushi Express (instant rice, black sesame, nori).
1 7.4 oz container white rice (ready to be steamed in microwave)
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
2-3 slices American Cheese
2 sheets nori (seaweed)
1 slice ham
1/2 cup edamame
3 spears of broccoli
3 lettuce leaves
1. Steam white rice in microwave according to package directions. Let cool, then mix in black sesame seeds in a medium bowl.
2. Form Totoro's body using about 1 cup of mixed rice (wet hands and create an elongated spherical shape). Create two half-golf-ball sized lumps of rice and form into Totoro's hands. Create two small rod-shaped rice pieces for ears. Make an indentation for the mouth.
3. Cut cheese into a semi-circle, place on belly.
4. Cut nori into v-shapes, place on belly.
5. Cut circle-shaped cheese and smaller nori circles for eyes.
6. Cut a circle out of ham to fit in mouth; cut teeth using cheese.
7. For dustball, roll a piece of nori around a golf-ball sized ball of rice, add cheese-circles for eyes.
8. Decorate with lettuce, broccoli spears, edamame, etc.
9. Take a few pictures and enjoy!